Quick and Easy Professional Development

One way I participate in professional development from the comfort of my own home is through education twitter chats.  I love twitter chats because they connect you with other education professionals, local and globally, to share ideas, problem solve together, and offer different perspectives on the things going on in our schools and classrooms.

Twitter chats usually occur weekly, and last about an hour.  A facilitator poses questions to the group, who tweet their responses.  If someone tweets a response that you find particularly helpful or interesting, you can “like” it or “retweet” it.  You can even “follow” that person to expand your professional learning network!

Here are just a few of the chats that I regularly participate in:

#k12artchat – Thursdays at 9:30pm, EST

#leadupchat – Saturdays at 9:30am, EST

#TEDEdChat – Tuesdays at 6:00pm, EST

If you are brand new to twitter, Mashable has a good introduction to its lingo and features.

Some things you should know before your first twitter chat:

1. Most chats follow a Q1/A1 format.  This means that the facilitator will post questions with Q and a number, and your response should start with A and the number of the question you are referring to.

Q1: What are your ideas on….

A1: My ideas are….

2. “Lurking” means you are watching the chat and reading everyone’s tweets about the topic, but not actively participating in the Q&A.

3. Make sure to include the hashtag of the chat you are participating at the end of each of your tweets so that users can easily follow your posts.

What are some of your favorite twitter chats?  How might you use twitter chats with your students?